30g unsalted butter
70g golden shallots, sliced
2 tbs tarragon, chopped
3 tbs Brandy
300g chicken livers, soaked and trimmed
4 egg yolks
1 tsp allspice
½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tsp salt flakes
170g unsalted butter, cut into 2cm dice
Red onion marmalade
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat, Induction setting 1-2. Add shallots and stir until soft and translucent. Add tarragon, Tawny and Brandy.
2. Increase heat to Induction setting 7. Bring to the boil then reduce over medium heat, Induction setting 4 until thick and syrupy. Allow to cool.
3. Bring remaining ingredients to room temperature. Combine livers, yolks, spices, salt and cooled shallot mix into a food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Add remaining butter, one piece at a time and blend until smooth. Strain parfait through a fine sieve over a bowl and discard any solids. Stir in the cream.
5. Pour the mix into sterilised preserving jars and close lid finger tight. Steam jars at 85°C for 20 minutes. To check if the mixture is cooked, insert a toothpick into the centre and it should come out clean.
6. Remove parfait and allow to cool before placing in the Refrigerator overnight.
1. Serve parfait with crackers, brioche, onion marmalade and pickles.
Hints and tips
• To soak livers, rinse under cold water and strain. Place in a bowl and cover with milk. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Strain and discard milk. This removes bitterness.
• Cooking method using a Steam Combination Oven:
Select Combination Mode:
Conventional at 110°C + 20-30 minutes + 60% moisture.