1 x 2kg piece pork belly
1 bunch salt bush
1 tbs mountain pepper
5 sprigs thyme
5 sprigs oregano
1 tbs smoked salt flakes
4kg organic compost
4 hessian cloths
1 large piece muslin
2 large sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
500g kipfler potatoes
1. Place the pork belly, skin side down onto a chopping board. Lay the salt bush on top of the flesh, as well as the thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Roll the meat lengthways as tight as possible.
2. Using kitchen string, tie the meat making sure to keep it into a tight roll, then roll the meat into muslin until completely covered.
3. In a large gourmet oven dish, place a layer of compost at least 1 inch thick.
4. Wet two of the hessian cloths and lay over the dirt. Place the pork on top, and then place the other two hessian cloths over the top, followed by more dirt until completely covered.
5. Place into a Steam Combination Oven. Selection Combination mode: Fan Plus + 130°C + 3 hours 30 minutes + 85% moisture.
6. Place the gourmet oven dish on shelf position 2 and set a minute minder for 2 hours.
7. Once the minute minder has finished, very carefully lift the top two hessian cloths and place the vegetables next to the pork. Place the hessian and dirt back on top and cook for the further 90 minutes.
8. Once cooked, remove the top dirt and hessian and discard. Unwrap the pork and place onto a baking tray.
9. Pre-heat the Oven on Fan Plus at 250°C.
10. Place into the Oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the crackling is crispy.
1. To serve, remove the string from the pork and slice into 2cm wide slices. Place onto the plate along with some of the veg, garnish with saltbush and some of the cooking juices from the pork.