50g glace orange peel, finely diced
14g dried yeast
350ml milk, warmed
80ml vegetable oil
90g caster sugar
600g plain unbleached flour
15g cocoa powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp ginger powder
120g plain flour
60g caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
- Soak the currants, sultanas and peel in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the vegetable oil, sugar and egg together.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients with the soaked fruit in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the milk and egg mix. With the dough hook attached, mix for 6 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and place in oven on Prove yeast dough function at 40°C for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once proved, tip the dough onto a clean surface, knock back gently and cut into 30g pieces.
- Form each piece into a smooth ball.
- Place the buns onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, leaving approximately 2cm between each.
- Cover the buns with a damp tea towel and allow the buns to rise for 30 minutes, or until all the buns have risen and are touching each other.
- While the buns are rising, whisk 120g flour with 120ml water to form a smooth paste.
- Place in a piping bag with a fine nozzle and once buns are fully risen, pipe crosses.
- Place the buns in a pre-heated Moisture Plus oven at 200°C on Fan Plus, administering 1 burst of steam once the buns are in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until buns are golden brown.
- Add caster sugar, mixed spice and water to a small saucepan and bring to the boil on high heat, Induction setting 8 for 2 minutes, then brush over the hot buns. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Hints and tips
- If you do not have Moisture Plus on your oven, you can bake the hot cross buns by selecting Fan Plus at 180°C, prior to baking spritz some water over the top of the rolled buns, place on shelf position 2, and bake for 15 minutes.