200 g butter, softened
150 g brown sugar
100 g self-raising flour, sieved
12 cardamom pods
½ tsp nutmeg, ground
275 g almond meal
1 medium orange, zest and juice
1 ½ tbsp rose water
4 tbsp caster sugar
1 medium orange, juiced
1 tbsp rose water
150 g icing sugar, sieved
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp water
¼ cup pistachios, chopped
¼ cup rose petals
1. Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 160°C, with a rack on shelf position 2.
2. Line a 23 cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
3. Place the cardamom pods in a mortar and work the pestle to crush and remove the seeds. Discard the pods and grind the seeds into a fine powder.
4. In the bowl of a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed, approximately 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs and mix to combine.
6. Reduce the mixing speed to low and add the remaining cake ingredients. Mix gently until fully combined.
7. Transfer the cake mix into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when the cake’s centre is pierced.
8. Remove from oven and leave in the cake tin. Pour the syrup over the top and stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
1. In a small saucepan on medium heat, induction setting 6, add the syrup ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to low, induction setting 2 and keep warm until the cake is ready
1. In a mixing bowl, add the icing sugar and lemon juice. Mix to combine with a wooden spoon, before gradually adding cold water until the desired consistency is achieved, the icing should be smooth and relatively thick,
but still runny.
1. Pour the icing over the top of the cake and use a spatula to spread evenly, allowing it to drip down the sides. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and rose petals.
Hints and tips
• The cake mixture can be divided into regular or mini cupcake tins for petit fours (bite-sized portions).