500 g (2 cups) milk
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp salt flakes
3 radishes, thinly sliced into quarters
60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt flakes
Spring bean and lentil salad with hazelnuts
150 g (¾ cup) dried French (puy)
200 g green beans
120 g snow peas, trimmed
150 g sugar snap peas
60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp finely chopped chives
60 g baby spinach leaves or
40 g (¼ cup) hazelnuts, toasted
- Place the milk into a small saucepan on medium heat, induction setting 6. Warm the milk to 85⁰C, do not let it boil.
- Stir through the vinegar and ½ tsp of the salt flakes. Set aside for 10 minutes for the curds to form.
- Line a sieve with a muslin cloth and place over a bowl. Gently pour the curdled milk through the sieve and set aside for another 10 minutes. Reserve the whey.
- Place the curds in a small bowl with the remaining salt and mix well. Place the salted curds back into the muslinlined sieve over a bowl, cover loosely with cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Place the radishes, vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and set aside to pickle for at least 40 minutes.
Spring bean and lentil salad
- Place the lentils, reserved whey and water to make 1 ½ cups liquid into an unperforated steam container and place into the steam oven. Steam 100⁰C for 14 minutes, or until tender. Drain any residual water.
- Place the trimmed beans and peas on a perforated steam container and Steam for 1 minute at 100⁰C; this can be
done when steaming the lentils. Immediately plunge the greens into a bowl of iced water to stop them cooking.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, mustard, thyme, chives and 1 tbsp of the pickling liquid in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the lentils, spinach leaves, beans, peas and hazelnuts to the bowl, gently toss to combine.
- Place the salad on a serving plate and top with the pickled radishes and crumbled salted ricotta.
Additional appliance method
The ricotta can also be made in the steam oven by steaming the milk at 85⁰C for 30 minutes.
Hints and tips
- Any spring or summer vegetable can be used in this salad, such as asparagus, winged beans or peas.
- The hazelnuts can be toasted in the oven on Fan Plus at 150⁰C for 10 minutes.
- The lentils can be cooked using the Automatic Programme: Pulses / Brown lentils.