175 g unsalted butter, softened
165 g (¾ cup firmly packed)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
35 g (⅓ cup) cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt flakes
50 g (½ cup) almond meal
80 ml (⅓ cup) milk
1 orange, zested
75 g (¾ cup) good-quality dark
chocolate, finely chopped
80 ml (⅓ cup) water
110 g (½ cup) caster sugar
125 g slivered almonds
150 g marmalade
1 orange, juiced
2 tbsp Aperol or Campari liquor
300 ml cream, whipped
1. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl of a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, until each egg is fully incorporated.
2. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into another bowl. Add the almond meal and mix well until combined.
3. Add half the flour mixture, half the milk and orange zest; briefly mix on low speed for 20 seconds.
4. Add the remaining flour mixture, remaining milk and the chocolate; mix again for 20 seconds.
5. Place the mix into a greased 12-hole muffin tray and Steam at 100°C for 18 minutes.
1. Place the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, induction setting 5. Add the almonds and continue to boil for 3 minutes.
2. Strain the almonds and transfer onto a lined baking tray.
3. Bake in the oven on Fan Plus at 160°C on shelf level 2 for 15 minutes, until dry and crisp.
4. Allow to cool completely before roughly chopping.
‘Negroni’ orange marmalade sauce
1. Place all ingredients into a small saucepan, stir until combined and cook on medium heat, induction setting 5 for 5 minutes, stirring, until reduced slightly.
1. Serve the puddings with the Negroni sauce, whipped cream and sugar-coated almonds.
Hints and tips
• This is a great base recipe for steamed chocolate puddings. Add extra ingredients, such as nuts and dried fruit to the base.
• Use self-raising gluten-free flour instead of the self-raising flour to make this recipe completely gluten free.
• Dariole moulds or small souffle dishes can also be used.
• This recipe for sugar-coated almonds can be used for all other nuts.
• This recipe can also be cooked using Automatic Programmes; Select Desserts / Sticky date pudding.