150 g butter
150 g (⅔ cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
3 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g (1 cup) plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
Juice of half a lemon
650 g golden delicious apples, peeled and cored
Icing sugar, to serve
- Grease a 26 cm springform tin.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold through the butter mixture with the lemon juice.
- Spread mixture into the flan dish and smooth the top.
- Cut each apple into quarters and with a sharp knife, score the curved side of each quarter. Press each quarter into the cake mixture core side down, arranging them in a circular pattern until the top is completely covered.
- Place on shelf level 2 and select Fan Plus at 160°C. Turn off rapid heat up. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden. Alternatively cook the apple sponge on Automatic Programmes / Cakes \ Apple sponge and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Alternative appliance method
- Place the sponge on shelf level 2 in the Dialog oven and cook the sponge on Automatic Programmes / Cakes \ Apple sponge and follow the prompts on the screen. Alternatively preheat the Dialog oven on M Chef + Conventional heat at 160°C + GU: Medium Intensity + Crisp function ON. Cook for 43 minutes or until golden.
- Place the sponge on shelf level 1 in the speed oven and cook the sponge on Automatic Programmes / Cakes \ Apple sponge and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Alternatively cook on Microwave 80W + Fan Plus at 160°C for 45-55 minutes, or until golden.