Olive oil pastry
450 g (3 cups) plain flour
3 tsp salt flakes
2 tbsp caster sugar
80 ml (⅓ cup) extra virgin olive oil
60 ml (¼ cup) water
1 egg yolk
Olive oil, to brush
350 g mixed spinach and silverbeet leaves, chopped
1 cup parsley leaves
½ brown onion, diced
1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 egg, extra, beaten
250 g ricotta, drained
130 g parmesan, finely grated
1 lemon, zested
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
Salt flakes and pepper, to taste
Olive oil pastry
1. Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the oil, water, egg, and egg yolk. Knead quickly into a paste.
3. Form into a disc, cover and let it rest for half an hour before use.
1. Place the eggs into a perforated steam tray. Steam at 100°C for 4 minutes. Remove the eggs and plunge into iced water and leave for 10 minutes to cool. Peel carefully and set aside.
2. Place the mixed spinach, silverbeet and parsley onto a perforated steam container. Place into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the steam oven and squeeze out any excess liquid.
4. Place the diced onion and olive oil onto a solid steam container, place into the steam oven and steam at 100°C for 2 minutes.
5. In a bowl, add in onions, blanched greens, beaten egg, ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest, grated nutmeg then season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
1. Pre-heat the oven on Intensive Bake at 180°C.
2. Roll out pastry to 2mm on a lightly floured surface. Cut into six 15cm rounds. Line a jumbo muffin pan with the pastry, allowing excess
pastry to hang over.
3. Fill each mould 2/3 full of ricotta mixture and make a small indent with a teaspoon. Place a boiled egg into the indent and top with
ricotta mixture. Fold excess pastry over, pleating as you go. Brush pastry top lightly with olive oil.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out of pan.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature with salad.
- Torta Pasqualina is an Italian Easter Pie. Originating in the northern Italian area of Liguria, the pie dates back to the 14th century.
- This recipe can also be prepared as one big torta using a 20cm springform cake tin. Bake on Intensive Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until golden brown.
- Torta can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.