100 g caster sugar
125 ml (½ cup) orange juice
90 g egg whites (2-3 egg whites)
125 ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
1 lemon, zested
450 g (3 cups) self-raising flour
60 g pistachios, roughly chopped
40 g dried cranberries
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground star anise
1. Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 140°C.
2. Place the sugar, orange juice, egg whites, oil and lemon zest in a bowl. Mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Make a hole in the centre of the flour and pour in the orange mixture, mixing well to combine. If the mixture is too wet add a little extra flour.
4. Working quickly with lightly oiled hands, divide dough into 2 equal portions and shape into loaves each one, approx. 22cm long x 10cm wide x 1.5cm high.
5. Place the dough onto a baking paper-lined baking tray and slice every 1cm almost to the base of the loaf.
6. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until almost risen and pale golden.
7. Remove from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. While still warm, with a serrated knife, slice into fingers and lay flat on the baking tray and return to the oven. Bake for a further 20 minutes until golden.
8. Remove from the oven then transfer onto wire racks and return to the oven. Change the setting to Fan Plus at 30°C and leave in the Oven for approximately 30 minutes. The biscotti should be dry throughout. Store in an airtight container until needed.
Hints and tips
• Pistachios and cranberries can be substituted with a favourite nut and fruit.