10 x 280ml capacity
cast iron pots
150g duck fat
3kg brown onions,
peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
¼ bunch thyme
150ml white wine
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 litre mushroom stock
1 litre chicken stock
Murray River Sea Salt
and white pepper to taste
1 ale beer (375 ml)
10 rounds of puff pastry
(approximately 5mm thick
and 15cm and 2cm diameter
larger than serving bowls)
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten for glazing
200g Gruyere cheese, grated
2kg chicken carcasses
1 carrot, peeled and cut
1 large onion, cut in half
1 leek washed, root removed
3 garlic cloves
1 celery stalk,
cut into 3cm lengths
1 bouquet garni
3 litres water
15g dried porcini mushrooms
1 litre hot water
- Place vegetables, garlic and peppercorns into a large pot and dry roast.
- Add chicken bones and cover with water. Add bouquet garni and bring to the boil on Induction setting 6.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, Induction setting 3-4 and continue to cook for 4 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Place dried porcini mushrooms into hot water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock and reserve for later use.
- Pre-heat oven to 200˚C on Moisture Plus with 1 manual burst
- Place the Induction gourmet oven dish on medium heat,
Induction setting 6, melt the duck fat.
- Add onions, garlic and thyme, cover and sweat down
for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and reduce until most
of the liquid has evaporated. Add the sherry vinegar and
cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stocks and reduce the liquid by ⅓ on medium-low heat,
Induction setting 4-5.
- Remove from heat and check seasoning. Refrigerate
- Place 180ml of soup mixture into pots and top with 30ml
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Brush one side of each pastry disc with egg yolk and place
over the pot (egg side down) with an excess of at least
2cm all round. Press very gently into the edge of the pot
and refrigerate for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove pots from the refrigerator, brush with egg yolk and
stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Cook at 200˚C
on Moisture Plus for 20 minutes on shelf position 2, releasing
a burst of steam.
- Remove pots from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Return pots to the oven and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Using a digital thermometer, test the soup is at 95˚C, serve
Hints and tips
- Duck fat can be substituted with goose or chicken fat.
- A good quality gruyere cheese is essential, we used Heidi Farm
- Porcini mushrooms used to create the stock can be retained
and used for a stir-fry or risotto.
- You can purchase bouquet garni from your local fruit and
vegetable shop, alternatively you can make a bouquet garni
by using thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns and wrap
in muslin cloth.