110 g plain flour
½ tsp mixed spice
70 g fine breadcrumbs
70 g butter, melted plus extra for greasing
70 g brown sugar
20 g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
70 g raisins
70 g currants
70 g sultanas
20 g glace cherries
20 g mixed candied peel
1 small apple, peeled and grated
½ lemon zest
½ orange, zest and juice
10 g black treacle
70 ml brandy or rum
- Sift the flour and spices into a large bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs, melted butter, brown sugar and almonds.
- Add the fruit, zest and juice. Make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg and treacle. Combine thoroughly; gradually adding the brandy, mixing until a smooth dropping consistency is obtained.
- Cover the bowl and leave to stand overnight in the refrigerator.
- The following day lightly butter a 900 ml pudding bowl and fill with the mixture, packing it down firmly. Cover the top of the bowl with baking paper and secure the pudding lid.
- Place the bowl on a rack and Steam at 100ºC for 3 hours.
- After steaming, replace the baking paper with fresh paper and place the lid back on. Store in the refrigerator until required.
Hints and tips
- Store the sealed pudding in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Puddings can be made 1-2 months in advance, to ease the burden in the kitchen.