1kg new potatoes
1 red onion, peeled, cut into wedges
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
½ tsp salt
125ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
Salt flakes, to taste
- Place potatoes in a perforated steam container and Steam at 100°C for 18 minutes.
- Add the red onions into a separate perforated steam container. Place in the steam oven, along with the potatoes and Steam at 100°C for 2 minutes.
- Place onions into a small ovenproof dish with the bay leaves, thyme and salt. Pour over 75ml of the oil and cover with a lid or foil.
- Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 225°C.
- Drizzle half of the remaining oil onto a multi-purpose tray and sprinkle the tray with salt flakes. Place the potatoes onto the tray and lightly crush them flat. Drizzle over the remaining oil and sprinkle with additional salt flakes.
- Place the potatoes into the oven on shelf position 3 and the onions on shelf position 1 and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the chardonnay vinegar to the onions.
- Place the potatoes into a large serving bowl and add half of the onions, leaving behind most of the oil.
- Season with salt and lightly crush the onions and potatoes together, adding a little of the onion oil if needed.
Hints and tips
- The leftover confit onions can be used in a salad or sandwich.
- Do not discard the remaining oil; this can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or on the shelf for 7 days. The oil can be used as a base when making soups and casseroles, or drizzled over soups or noodles to serve.