3 baby fennel, fronds reserved and thinly sliced using a mandolin
175 g green beans, trimmed and cut in half lengthways
3 lemons, cut in half
1 ½ cups (330 g) freekeh
6 lemon thyme springs
5 slices lemon peel
2 garlic cloves, halved
Salt flakes, to taste
2 cups (500 ml) water
Red vein sorrel
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In an unperforated steam container, add the freekeh, lemon thyme, lemon peel, garlic, salt and water.
- Place into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 35 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Discard the lemon thyme, lemon peel and garlic.
- Place the beans on a perforated steam tray and Steam at 100°C for 1 minute. Cool quickly by placing in a bowl of iced water for 1 minute, or until cool.
- While the freekeh is steaming, place a large non-stick frying pan on high heat, induction setting 9.
- Add the lemons, cut side down, and cook for 3–5 minutes or until caramelised and charred.
- Place the freekeh, fennel, beans, fennel fronds and red vein sorrel in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with oil and gently toss to combine. Divide the salad between 6 small bowls and top with a squeeze of lemon. Season to taste.