1 ¼ cups (310 ml) warm water
2 tsp honey
½ tsp dry yeast
1 ¾ cups (260 g) plain flour
1 ¾ cups (260 g) plain wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt flakes, plus extra for sprinkling
¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 cup (160 g) soft dried figs, roughly chopped
1 cup (160 g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- Place the water, honey and yeast in a bowl of a freestanding mixer and whisk to combine. Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 15 minutes.
- Attach the dough hook and add the flours and salt. Knead on low speed, gradually adding the oil. Knead for 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth. Add the figs and walnuts and gently knead through.
- Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 45 minutes.
- Remove dough from the oven and turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough into 8 balls and roll each ball out to roughly 30–35 cm in length. Place on two baking trays.
- Place trays into the oven on shelf positions 2 and 4 and Prove for a further 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven on Moisture Plus on Fan Plus at 220°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Sprinkle each ficelle with salt. Place into the oven, releasing the burst of steam immediately and bake for 14–16 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with a soft creamy cheese, if desired.