500 g Granny Smith apples, grated
375 g raisins, chopped
250 g mixed peel
250 g currants
250 g butter, melted
375 g brown sugar
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp mixed spice
150 ml brandy or rum
350 g self-raising flour
120 g butter
½ tsp salt flakes
1 egg yolk
100-150 ml iced water (approximately)
- Combine all ingredients in a container or large bowl.
- Cover well and place in the refrigerator. Stir every few days.
- Place flour and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and gradually add water, pulse until it forms a dough.
- Press dough into a disc shape and wrap in cling wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven on Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 180°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Roll pastry out onto a floured surface, using a pastry cutter, cut out 7cm rounds and line a greased mini muffin tin. Place a teaspoon of fruit mince into each pastry case.
- Cut star shapes and use to cover the pies. Brush the tops with egg wash.
- Place tin on shelf level 2, releasing steam immediately. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow tarts to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Fruit mince will keep for months in sterilised jars and flavour improves with time.
- Fruit mince pies can be cooked in the combi steam pro oven. Preheat on Fan Plus at 180°C, then place pies into oven, release a burst of steam immediately and cook for 20 minutes.