600 g (4 cups) plain flour
2 tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder
14 g (2 sachets) dried yeast
75 g (½ cup) caster sugar
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp salt flakes
40 g butter
300 ml milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
200 g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
75 g (½ cup) plain flour
80 ml (1/3 cup) water
140 g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
60 ml (¼ cup) water
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- Combine flour, cocoa, yeast, sugar, mixed spice and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, induction setting 5. Add the milk and heat for 1 minute, or until lukewarm, ideally the milk should be 37°C. Add warm milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached and knead on medium speed for 8 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for an additional 1 minute, or until dough is smooth.
- Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place into oven on prove yeast dough and prove for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Punch dough down to its original size. Knead in the chocolate pieces for 30 seconds on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 32 even portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- Place balls onto a baking tray, about 1 cm apart. Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 15 minutes, or until buns double in size.
- Preheat the oven to Moisture Plus with Conventional at 170°C with 1 manual burst of steam.
- Spoon into a small snap-lock bag and snip off one corner to create a piping bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses.
- Place the buns into the oven on shelf position 2 and release the burst of steam. Bake for 20 minutes, or until buns are cooked through.
- Mix the flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick.
- Place all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil on high heat, induction setting 8 for 2 minutes, then brush over the hot buns. Allow to cool.
Alternative appliance method
- If you do not have Moisture Plus on your oven, you can bake the hot cross buns by selecting Fan Plus at 180°C, prior to baking spritz some water over the top of the rolled buns, place on shelf level 2, and bake for 15 minutes.
- You can also bake the buns in a combi steam oven. Select Combi mode: Conventional 170°C + 35% moisture and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Place into the combi steam oven on shelf level 1 for a 45 cm oven, or shelf level 2 in a 60 cm combi steam oven.
Hints and tips
- Try baking the buns with your own sourdough starter in place of yeast.
- Mixed spice can be replaced with a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.