220g butter, melted and cooled
1 ¹/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¹/3 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup ripe pineapple, chopped
2/3 cup shredded coconut
250g cream cheese, softened
100g butter, softened
200g icing sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Using a sharp knife cut the top off the pineapple and slice the rind off. Instead of cutting straight down, follow the rind to
maximise the size of your flowers.
2. Use a small measuring spoon, small paring knife, or the point of a vegetable peeler to pop out the eyes/seeds of the pineapple.
3. Lay the pineapple on its side, and slice very thinly. A mandolin can also be used for slicing the pineapple.
4. Press the slices between paper towel before placing them onto baking sheets lined with baking paper.
5. Place trays of pineapple into the oven on Drying function at 90°C. After 45 minutes, flip the slices over and continue drying for
a further 45 minutes. The slices should shrink and be almost completely dry. The little dots in the middle of the flower happen
naturally when they dry. If they aren’t dry after an hour and a half, bake them for 5-10 minute increments and keep a close eye
on them so they don’t get too brown.
6. Place the flowers in muffin tins so they curve like a flower and let them sit in the tin for 10-15 minutes to retain their shape.
1. Pre-heat oven on Cakes Plus or Fan Plus at 160°C.
2. Line muffin tin with patty pans.
3. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined.
4. Whisk in the eggs. Once incorporated, add in the mashed bananas and whisk in.
5. Mix in the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until combined, then whisk in the flour.
6. With a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped pineapple and coconut.
7. Once combined, fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
8. Place in the oven on shelf position 2 and bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes and then
remove and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Add vanilla extract and continue to beat.
3. Gradually mix in the sugar until smooth and creamy.
1. Pipe frosting on top of the cupcakes and place a pineapple flower on top.
Hints & Tips
• Tins of crushed pineapple can be substituted if fresh pineapple is unavailable.
• The Warming Drawer can also be utilised to dry the pineapple slices.