125 ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp sesame oil
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
2 carrots, coarsely grated
¼ cabbage green or Chinese cabbage, shredded
3 spring onions, white parts, thinly sliced
3 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cm (5 g) ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
½ tbsp cornflour, dissolved in ½ tbsp boiling water
Salt flakes and white pepper, to taste
160 g (1 cup) bean shoots
20 x 25cm x 25cm frozen spring roll pastry sheets (1 packet)
Dipping sauce 1
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
60 ml (¼ cup) soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
1 small clove garlic, crushed
¼ tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp thinly sliced spring onion greens
Dipping sauce 2
185 ml (¾ cup) Thai sweet chilli sauce,
½ cucumber, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped roasted peanuts
2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander leaves,
2 tbsp thinly sliced shallots or red onion.
Spring onion, green parts, thinly sliced
½ cucumber, cut into sticks
- Preheat the combi steam Pro oven on Fan Plus at 220°C.
- Combine the vegetable oil and sesame oil in a small bowl. Heat ½ tablespoon of the oil in a wok or frying pan on medium-high heat, induction setting 7.
- Fry the onion for 3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the celery and carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, spring onions and mushrooms and fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and cornflour mixture, cook for a further 1 -2 minutes while stirring, until the vegetables are coated in the sauce.
- Season with white pepper and salt to taste and stir through the bean shoots. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once the filling has cooled, unwrap the spring roll pastry and work with one sheet at a time, keeping the remainder covered with a clean tea towel to prevent the pastry from drying out.
- Lay a sheet of pastry on the diagonal on a clean work surface. Brush lightly with a little of the remaining oil mixture and spoon 2 tablespoons of filling halfway between the corner and the centre of the pastry. Make one roll toward the centre enclosing the vegetables in the pastry. Fold in the two sides and continue rolling towards the top corner. Repeat with the rest of the filling and pastry.
- Place the rolls onto a baking tray. Brush lightly with the remainder of the oil.
- Place the baking try on shelf level 2. Select Combi mode: Fan Plus at 220°C + 20 minutes + 0% humidity.
- Cool the spring rolls for 5 minutes before serving.
Dipping sauce 1
- Place all of the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Use the water to adjust the thickness to your desired consistency.
Dipping sauce 2
- Place all of the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the spring rolls to a warm serving platter, serve with the spring onion, mint, cucumbers and either of the dipping sauces.
Hints and tips
- If you have any leftover ingredients such as pork, chicken or duck, this can be added to the vegetable filling. Cooked vermicelli noodles can also be added to the mixture.