Steamed chocolate cake
125 g unsalted butter, softened
165 g (¾ cup) caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
Pinch salt flakes
50 g (½ cup) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
180 ml (¾ cup) full cream milk
300 g good quality milk chocolate, roughly chopped
160 ml (⅔ cup) cream
- Grease and line a 22 cm round cake tin.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl of freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until light and creamy.
- Gently fold in the flour, cocoa and salt using a spatula or metal spoon. Fold through the milk. Mix only until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top flat with a spatula. Cover with baking paper then foil, crimping the edges to secure.
- Place the cake into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Place the cream and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl and cover with cling wrap. Place into the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the steam oven and whisk together until smooth.
- Cool the ganache to room temperature.
- Whisk the ganache well before using.
- Pour the ganache onto the cooled cake and smooth evenly over the entire cake.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream and seasonal fruit.
Hints and tips
- The cooled cake can be frozen after icing with the ganache. Remove from the freezer an hour or two before serving at room temperature.
- The cake can also be served warm as a pudding. Warm the cake and ganache in separate containers on Steam at 100°C for 4 minutes. Pour the ganache over the cake while still hot and serve with whipped cream.