1½ cups dried dates, chopped
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250mls boiling water
60g butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
- Place dates in a bowl. Pour boiling water over dates, add bi-carb soda and set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs gradually, followed by the vanilla.
- Stir in flour, dates and liquid.
- Pour mixture into a large perforated steam tray lined with baking paper or alternatively a 20x25cm tin.
- Select Combination Mode:
Fan plus 160ºC + 30-35 minutes + 60% moisture.
- Caramel Sauce. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook on medium low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve puddings warm with Caramel Sauce.
Hints and tips
- Individual puddings – Spoon mixture into 12 greased ½ cup muffin tins / ramekins, or 16 1/3 cup muffin tins. Select Combination mode: Fan plus 160°C + 15-20 minutes + 60% moisture.
- Cooled puddings can be frozen in an airtight container, and reheated on the reheat programme.