1 litre water
50 g salt
50 g brown sugar
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp chilli, dry flakes
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1.2 kg turkey crown, boneless
350 g red peppers, roasted, jarred
1 tbsp black garlic paste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
300 g almonds, toasted and sliced
100 g bread, crusts removed, torn
450 ml milk
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
200 ml water
45 ml extra virgin olive oil
80 ml sherry vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt flakes
1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Place all ingredients into an unperforated steam container and Steam at 100°C for 5 minutes, or alternatively bring to the boil in a saucepan for 2 minutes. Allow to cool completely, strain off solids and chill in the refrigerator.
- Place the turkey in the brine making sure it is submerged and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Drain the red peppers and remove any seeds.
- Combine the black garlic paste and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Lay the turkey on a chopping board skin side down, and remove the tenderloins from the fillets.
- Brush the black garlic and oil paste onto the turkey breasts. Lay the red peppers evenly over the top and place the tenderloins over the red peppers in the opposite direction to where you removed them. This will help to evenly shape the meat.
- Bring all the sides of the turkey up to meet each other and form a ball and turn over so the skin is facing up.
- Tie together using butchers string or silicon bands. Place in the refrigerator and allow to air dry for a minimum of 5 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 230°C. Lightly oil and salt the turkey skin and place on a grilling and roasting insert on a universal tray.
- Change the function to Moisture Plus on Fan Plus at 230°C with 3 bursts of steam. Release a burst of steam immediately, a second burst of steam at 15 minutes and a third at 30 minutes.
- Place the turkey on shelf position 2 and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 160°C and continue cooking for 55 minutes, check the
internal temperature is 65°C or above before removing from the oven, allow to rest in the warming drawer for 25 minutes.
- Place the almonds, bread, milk, garlic and water in the jug of an upright high speed blender and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Blend well until smooth then add the extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, sugar, salt and blend again. For a really smooth finish you can push the sauce through a sieve. Stir in parsley and taste for seasoning.
- Keep in the refrigerator then allow to come to room temperature to serve.
- Carve the turkey into 8 wedges and serve with the almond sauce.
Alternative appliance method
Combi steam pro oven
- Create the following User Programme:
- Step 1: Combi mode + Fan Plus at 220°C + 0% moisture + Preheat
- Step 2: Combi mode + Fan Plus at 220°C + 10 minutes + 0% moisture
- Step 3: Combi mode + Fan Plus at 160°C + Core temperate 65°C + 60% moisture Insert a Food probe into the thickest part of the turkey before placing into the oven on shelf position 2.
Hints and tips
- Depending on the quality and age of the sherry vinegar used the sugar may need to be adjusted for the almond sauce.
- Black garlic can be made in our gourmet warming drawers. Place the whole heads of garlic in a vacuum sealing bag, and Vacuum on level 1 and Seal on level 3. Place into the warming drawer. Set the warming drawer on food setting level 1 (approximately 65°C). Leave the garlic in the drawer for 2 weeks or until black. The drawer will run for 12 hours before shutting off, you will need to reset the temperature twice a day.