4 green onions, cut into 4 pieces
80 g ginger, peel and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
2 large red chillies, halved
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup (60 ml) light soy sauce
½ cup (125 ml) Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1.25 litres (5 cups) good quality chicken stock
4 x 160 g chicken breast, trimmed
Cooked ramen noodles
Choy sum, blanched
Green chilli, thinly sliced
- Place the green onions, ginger, garlic, chillies, star anise, cinnamon, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar and stock into a large deep-sided metal baking dish.
- Place in the steam oven and Steam at 100°C to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the steam temperature to 85°C. Remove from the oven. Add the chicken and return to the oven. Steam for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove from the oven and remove chicken from the stock. Set aside.
- Strain the stock into a large jug and discard the green onions, ginger, garlic, chillies, star anise and cinnamon. Slice the chicken.
- Divide the noodles between bowls and top with choy sum, sliced poached chicken, reserved stock, coriander, fried shallots and coriander.