5kg beef bones
10 litres water
100ml fish sauce (Megachef)
120g rock sugar, crushed
3 brown onions, unpeeled
100g ginger, unpeeled
Murray River Sea Salt to taste
1kg fresh rice noodles
350g Blackmore beef fillet, thinly sliced
250g bean sprouts, debearded
1 bunch coriander, leaves picked and washed
2 birds eye chillies sliced
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
4 star anise
1 cassia bark
10 black peppercorns
3 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal.
- Combine all ingredients for the spice pouch in a small square of muslin cloth. Tie with cooking twine. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
- Place beef bones in a large roasting pan with the onions and ginger, roast for 1½ hours or until bones are well coloured. Set the onion and ginger aside until required.
- Place roasted bones into a large, deep solid steam tray with the water. Steam at 100°C for 1 hour.
- Reduce the temperature to 85°C and Steam for a further 15 minutes. Skim the stock of any impurities. Stock should be clear.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, onions, ginger and spice pouch. Steam at 100°C for 3 hours. Taste and adjust with salt if
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve and then again through muslin cloth over a sieve. Keep broth piping hot for serving.
- Place the noodles in a solid steam tray uncovered and Steam for 1 minute at 100°C. Immediately place into serving dishes.
- Sit thinly sliced beef on top of noodles, along with some bean sprouts, coriander leaves and chilli.
- Pour hot beef broth over each dish. Garnish with a lime wedge and spring onion, serve immediately.