100g duck fat
600g large white onions
(approximately 7 onions)
1 tsp minced garlic
300g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g melted butter
150g goats cheese
1 tsp Murray River Salt Flakes
1 tbs curly leaf parsley,
30g butter for greasing
- 1. Cut onions in half and thinly slice. Heat duck fat in a large frying pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6.
Add onions, toss to combine and cook covered for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Remove lid and continue to cook, reducing heat if necessary, for a further 45 minutes, or until the onions are caramel in colour and very soft. Cool to room temperature.
3. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 170°C.
- 1. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a medium size bowl. In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg and butter, whisk well.
2. Combine the onion with the flour mixture and the remaining wet ingredients. Stir gently to combine. It is important not to over mix the muffin batter as this will result in tough muffins.
3. Grease a 12 cup (⅓ cup holes) muffin tray with butter.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin holes. Change Oven setting to Combination Mode: Fan Plus at 170°C + 25 minutes + 60% moisture. The baked muffins should be golden in colour.ur.
Hints and tips
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil can be substituted for duck fat if preferred.