4 witlof, small to medium, red or white
250ml Maggie Beer Chicken Stock
1 tablespoon cream
Salt flakes and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Maggie Beer
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Split the witlof in half lengthwise leaving the core intact and arrange in a perforated steam tray and steam at 100°C for 5 minutes.
2. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan over high heat, Induction setting 8, simmer until reduced by a half, add the cream, season to taste.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl gently to combine.
4. Add the witlof halves to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium heat, Induction setting 4, turning 2-3 times to ensure the flavours are absorbed.
5. In a heavy based sauté pan add the remaining butter and bring to nut brown on medium-high heat, Induction setting 6, add the olive oil to stop burning.
6. Transfer the witlof from the sauce to the brown butter, cut side down, 3-4 at a time, and continue to cook on medium to high heat, Induction setting 6, until the face of the witlof is evenly caramelised, approximately 5 minutes.
7. Remove from the brown butter and arrange on a warm serving plate. Serve warm drizzled with the remaining sauce from the pan.
- If the witlof is larger, extend the steaming step by 2-3 minutes to ensure the witlof has cooked through, this will keep the colour in the leaves even.
- Baby cos can be substituted for witlof.