500g strong flour
250ml water, lukewarm (approximately 37°C)
½ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Add the flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast into a bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Mix on speed 2 until a smooth dough has formed, around 5-10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly floured bowl and cover with cling wrap. Place the dough into the oven on Conventional at 40°C for 20 minutes to prove.
- Cut dough into four equal portions.
- Roll each into a sausage shape about 60cm long.
- Lay two pieces horizontally 4cm apart and the other two vertically across these pieces again 4cm apart, making a double cross.
- Weave the dough together with an over and an under joint in one direction and then reverse the weave back in the other direction once all four strands have been overlapped. Continue process until strands can no longer be overlapped then tuck short ends under the loaf.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cover loosely with cling wrap. Place in the oven on shelf position 2 and prove on Conventional at 40°C for 20 minutes until doubled in size. Remove from oven and remove cling wrap.
- Gently brush with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Preheat oven on Moisture Plus at 180°C on Fan Plus with one burst of steam, releasing steam immediately at the start of the cooking time.
- Place in oven on shelf position 2 and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before eating.