12g dashi powder
3 cups water
180g eggs, (3-4 large free range)
2cm ginger, peeled and
8 umeboshi plums, stone out
and finely minced
½ teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons Maggie Beer Vino Cotto
¼ bunch chives, chopped
1. Mix together dashi powder and water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil on high heat, Induction setting 8-9. Once boiled, remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes, then strain.
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs lightly to avoid incorporating any air bubbles.
2. Whisking slowly, add the dashi and mix to combine. Stand for 10 minutes to allow any bubbles to settle.
3. Divide the ginger into 8 heat safe ramekins arranged on a perforated steam tray, then top each with 100ml of the custard mix.
4. Cover with cling wrap or foil and place into the Steam Oven and steam at 90°C for 15 minutes.
1. Mix together the minced plums, sesame oil and Vino Cotto to make a sauce.
2. Remove chawanmushi from the Steam Oven and top with a spoon full of umeboshi sauce, garnish with chopped chives and serve while still warm.