2 tbsp vegetable oil
500g chicken thigh, chopped large
2 onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
250g button mushrooms, quartered
2 slices of streaky bacon, chopped
2 bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp thyme, chopped
35g flour, plain
250ml chicken stock
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Sea salt flakes, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
650g flour, plain
250g butter, diced, cold
Pinch of salt
100ml water, iced
700g carrots, batons
5 bay leaves, fresh (or 2 dry)
2 tsp salt flakes
- Heat oil in a medium (26cm) casserole dish on high heat, induction setting 8 and brown the chicken in batches, seasoning with salt each time. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add butter to casserole dish along with the vegetables, bacon, bay leaves, garlic and thyme. Turn induction setting down to 6. Stir frequently for the next 20 minutes until soft.
- Add flour and stir in for 2 minutes.
- Add riesling and cook out for 2 minutes then add stock and bring to a boil on high heat, induction setting 8.
- Turn down to medium heat, induction setting 5 and cook covered for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 3 hours, placing in the refrigerator after 1 hour.
- Place flour, butter and salt in a bowl and rub together until sandy in texture and colour. This can also be done in a food processor if preferred.
- Add one of the eggs and the iced water. Combine until a dough forms. Rest in the refrigerator covered for 1 hour.
- Place all ingredients except the vinegar into a deep casserole dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Cut pastry in half and roll out a circle 4mm thick to cover the casserole dish with the pie filling in.
- Stir parsley into cold pie filling, separate egg yolk from egg white and brush a little yolk around the top of the casserole dish.
- Place pastry top on casserole dish and crimp down edges to seal.
- Brush remaining egg yolk over pastry, sprinkle over a little salt flakes and cut two slits in the middle of the pastry.
- Preheat oven on Fan Plus at 180°C and place roasting racks on both shelf positions 1 and 3.
- Place casserole dish with carrots on shelf position 1 and casserole with chicken pie on shelf position 3. Cook for 45 minutes, or until pie topping is golden.
- Remove foil from the carrots and mix through sherry vinegar.
- Cut the pie into 4-6 pieces and serve with a side of bay carrots.
Hints and tips
- The remaining pastry can be stored in the freezer for up to one month.
- This pastry recipe can be used for apple pie, by sprinkling the top of the pie with sugar before baking.
- The leftover egg white can be stored in the freezer for up to a year.