360g dark chocolate
140g plain flour
250g caster sugar
Softened butter for greasing
Plain flour for dusting
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 170°C.
- Melt 260g of the chocolate and the butter together in a saucepan, over low heat, Induction setting 2-3, stir until fully combined and melted, remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs, add to chocolate mixture. Stir to combine.
- Sift flour and sugar together and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Place into piping bags ready for use.
- Line 5 x 5cm metal rings with baking paper and brush sides well with softened butter. Place rings on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the refrigerator until required.
- Pipe mixture into prepared moulds.
- Place fondant in oven on shelf position 2 and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest. The top of the fondant should be moist and shiny and just set around the edges. Fondant will continue to cook while resting at room temperature. This step is very important to allow the centre to ooze up through the top of the cake mix. When the oozing begins, the cakes are ready to serve.
- Melt 100g of chocolate in a pan on low heat, Induction setting 1.
- Using a pastry brush, smear a strip of melted chocolate across the plate.
- Gently remove the rings from the fondant, lift fondant onto the plate and serve with ice-cream.
Hints and tips
- When lining the metal rings, the baking paper must not exceed 1cm higher than the top of the ring as the mixture will rise to the top of the baking paper.
- Mixture can be frozen inside the metal rings and stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Remove fondant from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, bake as per instructions, adding an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.