250g strong flour
1 tsp yeast
12ml apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
Rice oil for frying, or alternative flavorless oil
½ tsp rose water
Honey or maple syrup
- Place a small saucepan on medium heat, induction setting 5 and add the milk.
- Slowly warm the milk to around 35 degrees.
- Add honey and stir through the milk.
- Mix the yeast and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the centre and add a third of the milk. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk the flour completely through the batter, before adding the milk in three increments. Continue whisking until you have a smooth batter, pouring consistency.
- Cover and place in the oven on shelf position 2 on Proving function for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, the batter should have doubled in size.
- Dissolve the salt in the water. Add the salted water and apple cider vinegar to the batter and fold through, making sure it’s completely mixed through the batter.
- Cover and place back into the oven on shelf position 2 to prove for another 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, the batter should now be aerated, light and fluffy.
- Lightly grease egg rings with rice oil or clarified butter.
- Place egg rings into a frying pan on medium heat, induction setting 6. Add additional rice oil inside each ring.
- Use a ladle to gently place batter into the rings, filling three quarters up the ring, allowing space for the crumpet to rise. Make sure you don’t knock too much air out of the batter when using the ladle.
- Drop the heat to induction setting 5, ensuring the crumpets are cooking slowly.
- After 10 minutes the crumpets should be ready to flip, this is when you’ll see nicely formed air bubbles.
- Cook on the other side for 1 minute and remove the rings.
- Place on a tray to cool, or serve immediately.
- Mix rosewater into the mascarpone and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Top with a generous amount of rosewater mascarpone and drizzle with honey before serving.
Hints and tips
- This recipe can be made the day prior to serving. Reheat the crumpets in the toaster prior to serving.
- Crumpets can also be served with fresh or poached fruit.