¾ cup (165 g) caster (superfine) sugar
⅓ cup (80 ml) water
1¼ cups (310 ml) milk
1¼ cups (310 ml) single (pouring) cream
4 egg yolks, extra
⅓ cup (75 g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup (60 ml) strong espresso
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium–high heat, induction setting 7, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 6–8 minutes or until the mixture is a golden. Pour into 6 x ¾ cup-capacity (180 ml) ovenproof dishes. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the caramel is set.
- Place the milk and cream in a clean saucepan over medium heat, induction setting 6, until it is hot but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- Place the eggs, extra egg yolks, extra sugar, vanilla and espresso in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking to combine. Strain the mixture into a large jug and pour into the prepared dishes. Cover tightly with aluminium foil.
- Place the dishes into the perforated steam tray. Place the tray in the steam oven at 85°C and Steam for 25 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil and remove the dishes from the tray. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until cold.
- Turn out onto plates to serve.