7 g dried yeast
220 ml warm water
1 tbsp honey
160 g plain flour
160 g bread flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp salt flakes
80 g dried figs, coarsely chopped
40 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven on Conventional at 40°C.
- Mix the yeast, warm water and honey in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Combine the flours, spices and salt in the bowl of a freestanding mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead for 3 minutes until a smooth dough forms. Add the dried fruit and nuts and knead for a further 1-2 minutes, or until mixed through.
- Oil a large stainless steel bowl and add the dough, cover with cling wrap. Place the bowl in the oven and leave the dough to rise for 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven on Moisture Plus at 180°C with 2 manual bursts of steam.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and using a sharp knife make a shallow slice down the centre and dust lightly with flour and leave to prove on the bench for 30 minutes.
- Place the bread into the oven releasing the first burst of steam immediately and setting the minute minder for 15 minutes. Release the second burst of steam, set the minute minder for a further 10 minutes, and bake until browned and hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, slice and serve with butter or goats cheese.
Hints and tips
- This bread can also be served on a cheese platter.