2 kg whole chicken
60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
75 g (¼ cup) harissa paste
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp honey
1 lemon, zested and juiced
400 g (1 1/3 cups) natural yoghurt
1 bunch mint leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp mint leaves
2 lemons, halved
1. Using kitchen scissors, cut along each side of the chicken’s backbone and discard bones. Turn chicken skin-side up, carefully remove the wishbone; use heel of hand to press flat.
2. Combine oil, harissa, cumin, coriander, salt, honey, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl.
3. Place the chicken into the bowl and rub the marinade over the chicken to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven on Fan Grill at 200°C.
5. Remove chicken from the refrigerator. Place skin-side down on a grilling and roasting insert on a universal tray.
6. Place into the oven on shelf position 4 and cook for 25 minutes.
7. Turn chicken over so the skin side is now facing up and cook for a further 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and skin is golden.
8. Turn the oven off and allow chicken to rest in the oven for 15 minutes.
1. Place half the yoghurt and all the mint into a blender and blend on high until bright green.
2. Remove from blender and place into bowl, add remaining yoghurt and stir gently to combine.
3. Season to taste.
1. Cut chicken into pieces and place on a serving platter.
2. Pour juices from the tray over the chicken.
3. Serve with yoghurt, lemon halves and additional mint leaves
Hints and tips
- Roast or grill the lemon halves for extra flavour.
- This dish can be served with steamed couscous. Combine 1 cup of couscous with 1 cup of stock and Steam at 100°C for 15 minutes. Stir through some butter, chopped herbs and season to taste.
- Did you know that you can make your own yoghurt in our steam ovens? A recipe can be found on our recipe website.
- The discarded bones can be used to make bone broth.