1½ cups milk
1½ cups polenta
550g bakers flour
3 teaspoons salt flakes
11g dried yeast
Extra polenta for dusting
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and honey together over low heat, Induction setting 3.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk. Cool milk mixture to desired temperature of 37-40°C.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine the polenta, 400g of the flour, salt and yeast. Add the warm milk mixture and mix until combined.
4. With the mixer on low speed add the remaining flour, ¼ cup at a time until the dough clears the bowl and is only slightly sticky to the touch (you may not need all of the flour). Knead for 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and place into the Steam Combination oven and steam at 40°C for 1 hour (the dough should be almost twice its original size).
6. Spray a clean bench with oil spray and turn dough out onto the bench. Using scales divide dough into 4 even pieces.
7. Using lightly oiled hands, roll each piece of dough into a log with one end facing you.
8. Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece of dough out into a narrow rectangle.
9. Starting from the end closest to you roll each piece of dough into a log. Repeat with remaining dough.
10. Place the 4 pieces of dough, evenly separated, seam side down into a greased 28cm bread tin.
11. Place bread tin onto a baking and roasting rack and prove at 40°C for another 30 minutes.
12. The bread should be just above the top of the tin. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top of the bread liberally with polenta.
13. Change function to Fan Plus and pre-heat at 180°C.
14. Once oven has reached temperature, Select Combination Mode: Fan Plus at 180°C + 40 minutes + 10% moisture and place bread on shelf position 2.
15. Cornbread should be golden brown on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
HINTS AND TIPS
- This bread can be refreshed the next day by selecting Combination Mode: Fan Plus at 140°C + 20 minutes + 40% moisture.