1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1 chipotle chilli, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
1 can cherry tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 large chorizo, finely diced
2 tablespoons coriander, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 Free range eggs
1. Combine oil, onion, chilli, capsicum, garlic, paprika and tomato paste in a deep solid steam tray. Place into the Steam Oven and
Steam at 100°C for 30 minutes.
2. Remove tray from the Steam Oven and add tinned tomatoes, bay leaf and chorizo. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover
the dish with foil or a lid and return to the Steam Oven and Steam at 100°C for 1 hour.
3. Remove the tray from the Steam Oven and remove the lid, check the seasoning and add chopped coriander stirring to mix
1. Lightly grease 4 ramekins or terracotta dishes then place on a perforated steam tray and add spoonfuls of the sauce into each
dish. Make a well in the centre of the dish using a spoon.
2. Carefully crack an egg into the centre of the well of each dish and cover with baking paper.
3. Place ramekins into a solid steam tray and Steam at 100°C for 5-6 minutes, or until desired doneness of egg is reached.
1. Remove the ramekins from the Steam Oven. Serve with a sprinkle or paprika and drizzle of olive oil.
HINTS AND TIPS
• Huevos rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast dish; translates to ‘ranch eggs’.
• The cooking time of the eggs may vary with the cookware used and the level of doneness desired.
• Fresh eggs are best for this recipe, no more than a few days old ideally. The older the eggs, the more broken down the whites
become and the more they spread out over the sauce.