200 g (1 cup) dried chickpeas
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt flakes
125 ml (½ cup) fresh lemon juice
155 g (⅔ cup) tahini
125 ml (½ cup) iced water
2 tsp ground cumin
Extra virgin olive oil
Sumac or smoked paprika
1. Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover well with water, leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Drain chickpeas, place in a deep unperforated steam tray.
3. Cover with at least 3cm water and top with a lid. Place in the steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 50 minutes.
4. Once cooked carefully remove from the oven, drain and cool.
5. While chickpeas are cooling, place garlic, salt and lemon juice in a food processor and blend to a puree.
6. Add tahini and pulse to combine. With the motor running add the iced water, then process until the mixture is smooth and pale.
7. Add chickpeas and cumin, process once again scraping down the sides until the mixture is smooth.
8. Thin with more iced water if you prefer a looser consistency. Season with more salt flakes and fresh lemon juice if a sharper finish is desired.
1. Spoon hummus into a shallow bowl or plate, making a well in the centre. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and top with a generous sprinkling of sumac or smoked paprika.
HINTS AND TIPS
- If you have a Steam oven with Microwave, steam with chickpeas using Rapid steam at 100˚C with 300W and cook for 40 minutes.