100g basmati rice, washed
75g black rice, washed
350ml vegetable stock
120g fresh peas
50g flaked almonds, toasted
3 tbs parsley, roughly chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Murray River Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Place black rice into an unperforated steam container with 150ml of the vegetable stock and Steam at 100°C for 5 minutes.
2. Add basmati rice and the remainder of the stock to the black rice. Steam at 100°C for a further 13 minutes.
3. Add the fresh peas to the rice and Steam at 100°C for 2 minutes.
4. Remove rice and stir in butter, flaked almonds, chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice.
5. Season to taste and serve hot.
Hints and Tips
• Black rice is a variety that has excess levels of anthocyanin, an anti-oxidant that causes dark colour in plants. It can be purchased from supermarkets.
• Frozen peas can be substituted for fresh peas.