1 chicken carcass
3 lemongrass sticks, bashed
1 onion, halved
1 carrot, halved lengthways
1 celery stick, washed
3 garlic cloves, bashed with skin on
2 inch ginger, thick sliced
1 bunch coriander, washed
1 chilli, red, dried
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 star anise
4 spring onion, greens only
400g dried egg noodles
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 bok choy, washed, halved
1 red capsicum, sliced
200g green beans, sliced
4 spring onions, whites, sliced
- Place all ingredients into a large unperforated steam container and fill with hot water to meet the top of the chicken, careful as too much water will give you a weaker stock.
- Place in the steam oven and Steam uncovered at 100°C for 1 hour.
- Remove and allow to cool on the bench for 20 minutes.
- Strain and keep warm.
Noodles and vegetables
- Place noodles into an unperforated steam container and cover with hot water by 1 cm.
- Steam at 100°C for the duration suggested on the noodle packet and set a timer for the last 2 minutes of the cook time.
- When the timer sounds add the bok choy, green beans and capsicum on a perforated steam container into the steam oven and continue cooking.
- Drain the noodles and toss with the sesame oil.
- Divide the noodles and vegetables between four bowls and pour over the hot broth.
- Finish at the table with lemon wedges, spring onion, crispy shallots, soy sauce and chilli oil.
Hints and tips
- A variety of vegetables and noodles can be used for this dish, just modify the cook times accordingly.