2 tbsp (40 ml) vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200 g chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
60 ml (1/3 cup) kecap manis
1 tsp shrimp paste, optional
3 cups cooked white rice, cold
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 eggs, fried
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
1 lime, cut into thin wedges
2 tbsp fried shallots
1. Heat an induction compatible wok on medium heat, induction setting 4 while preparing the ingredients. Turn up the wok to high heat, induction setting 7 and add the oil, onion, chilli and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
2. Increase the heat to induction setting 8 and add the chicken. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of kecap manis and cook for a further minute, or until chicken is mostly cooked and slightly caramelised. If required, briefly turn the induction cooktop up to 9 at this point so the chicken doesn’t stew.
4. Add shrimp paste to the wok and mix with the chicken.
5. Add the rice and remaining kecap manis. Cook, stirring gently, for 2 minutes until sauce reduces and rice grains start to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
1. Divide the rice into serving bowls, garnish with your choice of fried egg, spring onion, tomato wedges, chilli, cucumber, lime wedges and fried shallots.
Hints and tips
- 3 cups of cooked white rice is equivalent to 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- This is a great recipe to utilise leftover rice; day old rice works best in this dish.
- Other meat or tofu can be used instead of the chicken.
- Preheating the wok on a lower setting enables the heat to travel up the sides, essential for wok cooking.
- Preparing this dish on induction ensures even heat distribution and fast cooking.