100mls extra virgin olive oil
350gms octopus tentacles, skin on and really well tumbled
½ tablespoon Verjuice
10 Kalamata olives, stone in
2 fresh bay Leaves
Rind of 1 orange
½ tablespoon orange juice, freshly squeezed
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, extra
2 cups mixed salad greens (lamb lettuce, radicchio, rocket(not wild))
½ ripe avocado. Sliced lengthways
Sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper to season
- Pat the octopus dry with kitchen towel.
- Place a high side 21cm heavy based pot over a high heat, add the 100mls of olive oil, once this is really hot place in the octopus and sear on each side for 1 minute.
- Then add the Verjuice, olives, bay leaves & orange rind. Place a tight fitting lid on the pot and turn the temperature down to number 1 (on Miele induction cook top).
- Allow this to cook for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Then remove most of the skin but leaving the suckers on.
- Once the octopus has cooled, heat a heavy cast iron griddle pan over a high heat, once really hot place the octopus onto the pan and grill for 1 minute on each side, also add the pieces of rind, olives and bay to the griddle pan for one minute.
- Remove from the pan and place all ingredients onto a resting plate, drizzle with orange juice and extra olive oil, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Once the octopus has rested slice on the angle into 1cm pieces, place the sliced octopus, rind, olives and resting juices to a mixing bowl (discard the bay leaves).
- Add the salad greens and Avocado and gently toss together, adjust seasoning to taste and serve.