1 kg small cucumbers, Lebanese or Kirby are good varieties to use
1 small brown onion, thinly sliced
1 ½ tbsp salt flakes
110 g (½ cup) white sugar
250 ml (1 cup) water
500 ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp dill seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- Slice the cucumbers into 5mm slices, use a crinkle cutter if possible. Place the cucumbers in a bowl with the onions and sprinkle with the salt. Place into a colander and leave to drain overnight. Discard the liquid.
- Place the sugar, water, vinegar, turmeric, dill seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a saucepan. Bring to the boil on medium-high heat, induction setting 7. Reduce heat to medium, induction setting 5 and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Sterilise the jars using the ‘disinfect items’ function in Miele steam ovens. Alternatively, place the bottles upside down in the steam oven and Steam at 100⁰C for 10 minutes.
- Pack the cucumber mixture into the sterilised jars and carefully pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables.
- Place the lids onto the jars and place into the steam oven. Steam at 75⁰C for 40 minutes. Preserving at this temperature will give you a better texture and allow them to be stored at room temperature.
- Store the jars in a cool dark place for up to 3 months.
- Serve the pickled cucumbers with cheese and bread for a delicious snack.
Preserving in a Miele steam oven
- Use clean glass jars and accessories and check them for any defects. Glass jars with twist off lids or glass lids with a rubber seal are suitable. Make sure that all the glass jars are the same size so that bottling is carried out evenly.
- After you have filled the jars with the bottled produce, clean the glass rims with a clean cloth and hot water and then seal the jars.
- Tap the jar gently onto a cloth to help distribute the contents evenly. Fill the jars with liquid. The produce must be completely covered.
- Make use of residual heat by leaving the jars in the oven for 30 minutes after it has switched off. – Then cover the jars with a cloth and allow to cool for approx. 24 hours.