800g rabbit mince
100g pork mince
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Murray River Sea Salt
2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
½ cup pistachio slivers
2 rabbit fillets
12 slices long mid-cut smoked bacon, rind removed
- Combine the rabbit mince and pork mince together in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, Induction setting 5-6. Sauté the shallot and garlic for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the rabbit mixture along with salt, tarragon and pistachios. Mix with your hand to combine.
- Line a 1 litre capacity terrine mould measuring 11cm x 28cm with baking paper. Fold the baking paper to the width of the base of the terrine, make sure it is long enough to come up the ends to 2cm above the top of the terrine.
- Line the terrine mould with the bacon slices, making sure there are no gaps along the base of the terrine with the slices hanging over the top edges of the long sides of the mould.
- Place half the mince mixture into the mould, press out evenly along the base of the mould. Place the rabbit fillets, top-to-tail, along the top of the mince down the centre of the mould to form an even section of fillet. Carefully top with remaining mince mixture and smooth out with an angled palette knife.
- Bring the over-hanging bacon up and over the mince to totally enclose and press down firmly.
- Place terrine on shelf position 1. Select Combination mode: Conventional 160°C + 60% moisture + 45 minutes.
Test terrine with a skewer, if the juices run clear, the terrine is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before covering with baking paper and foil and weigh down with a couple of heavy cans. Refrigerate until cold (overnight) before slicing and serving with pickles and crusty bread.
Hints and tips
- If you wish to keep the liver and kidneys of the rabbit, ask your supplier to keep them as these are often disposed of when ordering.
- The rabbit bones can be used for the base of a stock for use with other rabbit or chicken dishes.