250 g (1 ⅔ cup) plain flour
Pinch salt flakes
200 g unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
125 ml (½ cup) cold water
- Place the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter to the flour mix and rub them in loosely, small pieces of butter should remain.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in half of the cold water. Mix until you have a firm rough dough, add extra water if needed.
- Cover and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and place onto a lightly floured board. Roll into a 15 cm x 30 cm rectangle. You should see butter streaks in the dough. Fold the two short sides into the centre to make 3 layers. Turn 90⁰ and roll out again to 15 cm x 30 cm rectangle, then fold into thirds again.
- Cover and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes or until ready to use.