1 chicken crown (approximately 800g)
90g shio koji
1 spring onion
150g good quality mayonnaise
75g wasabi paste
30g sesame seeds, toasted
70g green beans
70g butter beans
70g sugar snap peas
Dressing for vegetables
80ml extra virgin olive oil
50ml lemon juice
Murray River Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Shio Koji Chicken
1. Rub shio koji over chicken crown and marinate for minimum of 3 hours or overnight, uncovered.
2. Wipe shio koji off the chicken crown and place lemon and spring onion into the cavity.
3. Insert Food probe into chicken. Place marinated chicken crown on the grilling and roasting insert, placed in the multi-purpose tray. Place in the oven on shelf position 2.
4. Select Steam Combination mode. Select Conventional 200°C + Core temperature 70°C + 70% moisture.
5. Turn the Warming Drawer on to Keep Warm function setting 2.
6. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and place in pre-heated Warming Drawer to rest for 10 minutes.
1. While chicken is resting, place vegetables on a perforated steam tray.
2. Steam at 100°C for 2 minutes.
Dressing for Vegetables
1. Whisk all ingredients together until emulsified.
1. Mix mayonnaise, wasabi paste and sesame seeds until well combined.
Remove breast meat from crown and slice. Toss summer vegetables in the dressing. Place the summer vegetables on a plate and top with two slices of chicken, followed by a dollop of wasabi mayonnaise.
Shio koji is a fermented mixture of rice and salt that has been inoculated with a special (and safe) mould called Aspergillus oryzae. It is a live food that is enzyme rich. Koji is the key ingredient in making miso, soy sauce, sake and mirin. In this application, shio koji is used as a natural seasoning to marinate, tenderise and enhance the natural umami of the chicken. It can be purchased from Japanese specialty stores.