1kg beef fillet
1 rosemary sprig
2 red onions, large
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 jar horseradish sauce
Salt flakes, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
- Season beef with a little salt and place in a vacuum sealing bag with the rosemary.
- Place into the vacuum sealing drawer and Vacuum on setting 3 and Seal on setting 3.
- Place the sealed bag onto a wire rack in the steam oven and Sous-vide at 55°C for 1 hour.
- Whilst the beef is cooking, slice the red onions into rings 1cm thick and sprinkle both sides with salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes preheat a frying pan on high heat, induction setting 9, and add red onions. Cook without moving for 5 minutes, or until blackened. Turnover and repeat on the other side.
- Remove from the pan into a bowl and cover tightly with cling wrap and sit for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the vacuum sealing bag. Dry well on paper towel and season with salt.
- Preheat a frying pan on high heat, induction setting 8, and add the oil. Add the beef to the pan and brown on each side for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Carve the beef and finish and season with salt.
- Break up the onion rings and serve on the plate with the horseradish.
Beef sous-vide guide
49°C – Rare
54°C – Medium-rare.
57°C – Medium
63°C – Medium-well
69°C+ – Medium-done