7 g (2 tsp) dried yeast
80 ml (1/3 cup) light olive oil
650 ml warm water (37°C)
1 kg Baker’s flour (high protein flour), plus extra for dusting
75 g (¾ cup) full fat milk powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp fine salt
Black sesame seeds, poppy seeds
and nigella seeds, to decorate
1. Combine the yeast, oil and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. Place the flour, milk powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a freestanding mixer with a dough hook attachment and mix on a low speed until combined.
3. Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl of the freestanding mixer and continue to mix for 1 minute.
4. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 8 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough into a large lightly greased metal bowl. Place into the oven on Prove yeast dough and prove for 30 minutes.
6. Wet your hands and fold the dough from the bottom to the top turning the bowl every time until you have folded it 6 times. Pull the smooth side of the dough so that it sits at the top.
7. Return the dough to the oven and prove for another 30 minutes.
8. Remove the bowl from the oven and sprinkle the workbench with flour.
9. Turn the dough onto the workbench and gently shape the dough into a 40 cm x 30 cm rectangle.
10. Dust the top with flour, cover with a tea towel and rest for 10 minutes.
11. Divide the dough evenly into 10 rectangles.
12. Lightly flour two baking trays and lift the dough gently onto them.
13. Whisk the egg with an equal quantity of water and brush lightly over the dough, sprinkle with the seeds and rest for 10 minutes.
14. Select Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 190°C, releasing a burst of steam immediately.
15. Bake on shelf positions 2 and 4 for 20 minutes, or until bread is cooked and golden.
16. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire racks before serving.
Hints and tips
- To improve the lightness and texture of the bread you can repeat steps 5 and 6 twice more.
- The dough can be cut into any desired shape.
- If you don’t have the Prove yeast dough function, prove the dough with Conventional at 30°C covered.
- The dough recipe can be made in advance and frozen. Freeze the breads after the final proving stage, then bake as needed.
- The bread can be refreshed in a combi steam pro oven using Mix & Match + Crispy reheat + Select your preferred level of crispness, or in the oven on Moisture Plus with Fan Plus at 200°C, bake for 10 minutes, releasing 1 automatic burst of steam immediately.
- Please note our recipes are developed using tablespoons that hold 20 ml (4 teaspoons).