3 medium red onions
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Vino Cotto
4 slices ciabatta or sourdough (depending on size of base you are after)
1 clove garlic, cut in half
Sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper to season
Extra olive oil to serve
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 220°C.
- Leave the core attached to the onions, peel them and cut into wedges, lengthways in eighths.
- Place the onions onto a baking tray with 1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and sea salt and place into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly burnished on the edges.
- Remove from oven and add Vino Cotto, orange and thyme. Return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then remove the onions from the oven and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside and keep warm.
- To make bruschetta base, heat cast iron griddle pan to very hot, then sear both sides of the bread to show grill marks.
- Immediately rub each side with cut garlic and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Divide the cooked vino cotto onions between the 4 slices of grilled bread, top with the ricotta, season to taste and drizzle with extra olive oil and serve.