2 flounder, 400g-500g each, cleaned and scored on top side
1 fennel, sliced vertically 1.5cm thick, reserve the fronds and stalks
1 Spanish onion, peeled, quartered
250g heirloom tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, skin on
3 sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Freshly ground pepper and Murray River Sea Salt
25g Lilliput capers, soaked in water, drained
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons tarragon, chopped
2 teaspoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
¼ bunch basil leaves, sliced very thinly
20mls lemon juice
250g unsalted butter, diced
Murray River Sea Salt and white pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
- Place the sliced fennel and Spanish onion on a baking paper lined multi-purpose tray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Move the fennel slices to one side of the tray. Lay out the fennel stems (without fronds) on the paper and sit the fish on top. Place the tomatoes next to the fennel slices. Add the thyme and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Change the function to Combination mode. Select Fan Plus at 180°C + 60% moisture and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until almost smooth. Set aside until required.
- Warm the caper butter in a pan on low heat, Induction setting 4 until heated through.
- Carefully transfer the fish to a warm serving platter, strew the fennel slices, onion and tomatoes around the fish. Drizzle with caper butter and a sprinkling of sea salt.
Garnish with fennel fronds.
Hints and tips
- Excess caper butter may be frozen for later use.