200 g (1 cup) dried whole farro, rinsed
well and drained
50 g (¼ cup) dried black beluga
or du puy lentils, rinsed and drained
375 ml (1 ½ cups) water
½ tsp salt flakes
2 chicken breasts (approximately
250 g each)
1 lemon, zested
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt flakes
Pepper, to taste
2 corn cobs, husks removed
1 large bunch basil (approximately
3 large handfuls)
80 ml (⅓ cup) extra virgin olive oil
60 ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
½ tsp salt flakes
2 handfuls of fresh rocket
1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
1 large handful sugar snap peas
or snow peas, thinly sliced
1 large handful of cherry tomatoes,
sliced in half
1 avocado, thinly sliced
100 g Greek feta, roughly crumbled
Unperforated steam container
Perforated steam container
1. Place the farro, lentils, water and salt into a small unperforated steam container and stir, ensuring the grains are evenly covered by the water.
2. Place into a steam oven and Steam at 100°C for 20 minutes.
3. While the farro and lentils are cooking, add the chicken breasts, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized bowl and coat the chicken evenly in the mixture.
4. Preheat a large frying pan on medium-high heat, induction setting 7.
5. Add the marinated chicken and the corn and sear the chicken on each side, about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Turn the corn as you turn the chicken.
6. Remove the chicken and corn and place into a perforated steam container.
7. Once the farro and lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, add the chicken and corn to the steam oven above the tray of farro and lentils and steam at 85°C for a further 8 minutes.
1. Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Set aside until ready to use.
1. Divide the farro and lentil mixture into 4 bowls.
2. Add the fresh rocket, thinly sliced cabbage, sliced snow peas, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and feta.
3. Now add some sliced chicken and corn.
4. Drizzle with the basil vinaigrette and sprinkle with some pepper and salt flakes.
Hints and tips
• The basil vinaigrette will keep in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
• The elements of the bowls can be prepared and kept in airtight containers in the fridge for easy meal prep or a pre-prepped lunch or dinner.
• The steam cooking in this recipe retains vitamins in this nutrient-packed meal.