4 tbs white miso paste
2 tbs sugar
4 x 150g kingfish portions
Pickled shiitake mushrooms
3 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
¾ cup soy sauce
¾ cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup caster sugar
20g ginger, sliced
2 star anise
2 strips orange peel
Japanese salad leaves eg. tatsoi, shiso
1. In a saucepan, Induction setting 8, bring sake and mirin to the boil for 20 seconds. Remove from heat. Add the miso and sugar and whisk to combine. Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Place the fish and the marinade into a small vacuum bag. Place into the Vacuum Sealing Drawer and Vacuum on setting 3 and Seal on setting
3. Alternatively, place the fish in a non-reactive bowl and cover with the marinade. Marinate for 24 hours in the Refrigerator.
1. Place the mushrooms in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to rehydrate for 30 minutes. Strain and remove stems, reserving one cup of soaking liquid.
2. Combine the pickling liquor ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer on Induction setting 3. Stir occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the rehydrated mushrooms and their soaking liquid and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the star anise, ginger and orange peel and transfer to sterilised jars. Once cool, place jars into the Refrigerator.
1. Position the grease filter at the rear of the Steam Combination Oven. Pre-heat the Oven on Full Grill, setting 3 for 10 minutes.
2. Remove fish and discard the marinade. Place onto a Grilling and roasting insert above a Multi-purpose tray.
3. Place the fish on a damp piece of baking paper. This will prevent the fish from sticking to the tray.
4. Place into the Steam Combination Oven, shelf position 3. Select: Combination Mode: Full Grill, Level 3 + 4 minutes + 80% moisture.
1. Once cooked remove fish from the Oven, serve with pickled mushrooms, salad leaves, rice and wasabi.
Hints and tips
• Kingfish can be substituted with any oily white fish such as Toothfish, Cobia, Barramundi or Salmon.
• Cooking time may vary from 4-7 minutes depending on the thickness of fillets.
• Pickled mushroom will keep for up to 1 month in the Refrigerator.